Saturday, January 25, 2014

The why

I've been thinking a lot this week about WHY we are doing what we are doing, as we have worked our tails off to get ready for today's fundraiser. I have followed multiple families the last few months as they have journeyed to Eastern Europe to meet their new sons and daughters, and I have seen the reality of the statistics below. I have seen the 6 year old who weighs less than 29 lbs and size 2T falls off them. I have seen the older boy who was told he could never have a meaningful life or even meaningful interactions, because of cerebral palsy, who was often tied to his bed, now laughing and learning and beginning to thrive after only a week home. I have seen the before and after pictures and stories of sweet children, transferred to the mental institutions who have died...the "lucky" ones who somehow survived despite severe neglect, beatings that caused hearing loss, fear that caused them to become non-verbal, massive weight loss, bruises the size of adult fists, being dragged and slammed on the concrete, denied water in the heat of summer, ridiculed and yet somehow they survived until a family came. And they are finding healing and thriving.

So why were we compelled to adopt from Eastern Europe? Because there, to be born with special needs means:
  • to be abandoned at birth in the hospital
  • to live in a orphanage till around the age of 5
  • to be transferred to a mental institution somewhere between the age of 4-6 where they will live and die
  • 50% (and that's the conservative estimate) will die within the first year of transfer
  • a child who cannot walk will spend their life living in a crib, which will likely not be a long life
Thank you for helping give hope and a future to one little boy. One sweet little guy we are moving heaven and earth to get to as soon as we can. 



 Come see us today! We can't wait to see our friends and meet many new ones!

And lastly, take a few minutes to visit Reece's Rainbow. Countless other children wait...pray, advocate, and ask God if your family might have room for one more. See you soon!

~Chrystal
 

12 comments:

  1. I read about your little one on Brian's blog (Way Station One). The stories you've told here, I've heard before. They're horribly sad.

    Wishing you well with your success! I hope to read soon that your son's come home!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We hope we will get quick travel dates to get him home soon.

      Delete
  2. I came from Brian Blog. Im really happy you can receive Tavin, he is so sweet!!
    (I have adopted twins and now have 19 years lol)
    A lot of love for you and your family and friend!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Chrystal! I'm a friend of Brian Miller's and just had to let you know I stopped by, followed your blog and have been praying for your adoption process since I learned about it last evening. I'd love to feature Tavin and his story on my blog, if you'll allow it. Maybe it will help you get to your financial goal a bit sooner! Let me know, alright? Love and prayers... Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful and means so much! Yes you have our permission to feature Tavin on the blog! Feel free to link back to our blog. Thanks so much!

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I just wrote it and posted it! And yes, I linked back to you and encouraged people to donate. :)

      Delete
    3. I just read your post, and it instantly made me cry. What a beautiful analogy with the bird. Thank you so much for taking the time to share our story with your readers!!

      Delete
  4. Visiting from Brian's place. Amazing what you all are doing and Tavin and all are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading our story and your encouragement! We appreciate it so much!

      Delete
  5. I'm coming over from Betsy's blog and want you to know I will stand with you in prayer for bring Tavin home. I've read your post and previous post, and touched and know God is going to accomplish this wonderful thing you are doing. Sending love and prayers...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers and kind words! They mean so much!

      Delete